Bad Medicine

There was a time I needed to feel safe.
So, I would just be the Italian, Eurasion or Greek.
It was better to be whatever I wasn’t
because anything was better than pain.

I didn’t have my grandmother’s arms to hold me
while she told me where we came from.
I didn’t have my grandmother’s words to tell me who
We are.

Her children went onward and got lost in the White Sea
with, here and there moments of shining glory, such short moments,
but mostly they got knocked around and then down,
till the medicine could numb them, and set them free.

Some of us finally stopped drowning, and we were doing what we were told.
But I learned the voices in my head weren’t the ones in my heart.
My grandmother does talk to me and she’s been whispering the stories.
That the hurt of the years stood in the way of for so long.

She’s been telling me to stand up now.  To remember and learn who we are.
She’s saying use your voice to teach.
Use your voice to reach the hearts of the other ones lost.
Let them know they’re not alone, show them lies are not real.

Learn for them; then show them the ways through that White Sea.

It’s OK to not be only safe. Staying hidden is another bad medicine.

Eagle on perch

RL

Photo credit: Jim Wong Photography
Advertisements

About Blog Woman!!!

Once in a while I can rock a thought. I simply believe in what I stand up for. I'd most like people to know that surviving the trials of mountains and monsters is more than resilience. It’s a path to your destiny. On a mostly weekly basis I throw out a grab-bag of facts, ideas or creativity; like a box of chocolates wrapped in ribbons of occasional profanity.... In other words, it's my party I can fun if I want to. So, let's talk.
This entry was posted in Aboriginal Peoples, Alcoholism, First Nations, Indigenous, Indigenous Peoples, Life, Metis, Native Americans, Pain, Poetry and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Bad Medicine

1. B Harmony says:

This can apply yo so many generations. It moved me.

2. B Harmony says:

Oops. “To” so many generations.

3. There are many of us.

4. Paul says:

Right on Robyn. Well done.

Liked by 1 person

5. Paul says:

As an aside Robyn, I did a couple of guest posts this week and would be honored if you had time to drop by for a read: one at Cordelia’s Mom http://cordeliasmomstill.com/2014/11/06/serendipity-guest-post-by-paul-curran/ and another at Mundufl Digressions http://mindfuldigressions.com/2014/11/06/of-breasts-and-bananas/ thank you veyr much Robyn.

6. Barb Miller says:

This was another awesome piece, and at times it is tough to hear that voice.

Liked by 1 person

7. This was absolutely beautiful. Your words reminded me of something I’ve long taken for granted. I did have my grandmother’s arms to hold me as she told me about our background and heritage and I cherished those times. In fact, she’s been gone a long time and on my mind a lot lately. Your words are a beautiful tribute, thank you for sharing them. Your grandma would be proud.

• Thank you so much – it is really nice to get your input, and your understanding. You’re one of the most thoughtful writers I follow, and believe me, I do follow quite a few, so your visit is cherished.

8. diahannreyes says:

Powerful words! I love to how your grandmother, your female lineage- continues to call to you to remember. I look forward to hearing what else you have to say the more you come out of hiding. xo

9. I love your quote, “The voices in our head are not the ones in our heart.” It gets so difficult to distinguish between the two and even harder to know which one is the right one to listen to.

• Thank you, so much for your words. It’s taken me awhile, but I learned to hear my heart songs by turning off my thoughts, by what most of us call meditation. I’ve come to understand that what drives the heart from a place of quiet, is also pretty effective at re-setting thought processes to propel action in line with the greater purpose.

Let me caution though, I’m nowhere near 100% return on the effort yet. I definitely still learn by mistakes too! 😀

Liked by 1 person

10. ermigal says:

Such a shameful part of our history, and the struggle continues for those whose history was stolen from them. I visited the fascinating Navaho Museum in New Mexico and learned so much…my favorite is the First Laugh tradition. If you are reading this, look it up–it’s a very beautiful custom. Thanks for the moving words, Blog Woman. Well said.

• Thank you ermigal! I had to laugh, when I realized I put a reply to someone else on your comment. If you saw it, you’d likely thought I’d lost a marble or two.
      I will absolutely look up that First Laugh tradition, and thank you for coming by and sharing this with me. You are the best.

11. WOW! This is AMAZING! It gave me goosebumps! And the part about using your voice to teach and reach the hearts of the other ones lost was just so… YOU! That’s exactly what you do here on your blog and you do it so well! Just one of the many reasons why I love you! ❤

Liked by 1 person

12. trentpmcd says:

Great poem. It makes me feel a little guilty about what my ancestors did to yours. I hope you can push your heritage into the future without it drowning in the sea of bland popular culture.

• Thanks Trent, but don’t feel guilt, please. Empathy is a more helpful path. It tends to move us all forward in more positive ways and actions.
      I think we are on our way as a culture now. The advent of social media has given us a voice like at no other time. There will be plenty of bumps on the road, I’m sure, but the momentum has begun.

Liked by 1 person

13. Hi Robyn, Thank you for following my blog. I am honored.

• Oh, the honor is mine, Michael. It just takes awhile for me to get through the posts of whom I’m following and onto my own newest followers. I’m glad I finally made it to your site.
      -Robyn

14. anawnimiss says:

Beautiful.
    You’re already doing it, aren’t you – using your voice to speak up and teach others what you’ve learned? [smile]

15. Mike says:

Great stuff Robyn. It is wonderful to know you.

So, watcha think, let's talk about it...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s